The Environmental History Archive Project (EHAP)

About EHAP

The aim of the Environmental History Archive Project is to create a teaching collection of documents relating to changes in the land over the last two centuries for selected sites in the Kennesaw/NW Georgia area.  When completed, collections for each site will include documents on changes in land ownership and land use as well as on the environmental consequences of those changes. Articles and papers that provide social, economic, and political context for these changes will also be included.  

The collections were assembled by students beginning in the fall of 2011. Student-builders of the collections have recorded the source of each document and, in the Help/FAQ section, provided student-users with tips on how to download and manipulate the various kinds of files. The hope is that KSU students in environmental history and Georgia history classes will both use and improve upon these collections for years to come. 

EHAP is divided into a series of Site Collections that are linked in the left navigation bar.  A note on the historical background and on the contents of each site collection is below.

****************

Kennesaw State University campus property history is traced from 1867 to present through original land deeds and plats maps of District 20, Lots #96 and 97 found in the records of the Cobb County Superior Court. Also included are maps from 1968 to 2011 of the Kennesaw area. Date List for KSU Buildings and Facilities to 2011.

Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield has been designated to preserve the Civil War battles of the Atlanta Campaign which were fought from June 27, 1864 to July 2, 1864.  The campaign claimed 67,000 soldiers, killed, wounded or captured. The site is 2,923 acres and includes a visitor's center, interpretive walking trails and several monuments. The battlefield was designated a National Battlefield by the War Department February 08, 1917 and became a National Park in 1933.

Lake Allatoona and Lake Ackworth----

Hyde Farm is a 95-acre property that was purchased by Cobb County in 2008.  The Hyde family acquired this land in 1920 from the Power family who had lived on the property since the 1830's. The original cabin was without running water or electricity until 1989. This property will be preserved to represent agriculture in Cobb County over the last 200 years. J.C. Hyde and his brother, W.H., were lifelong bachelors who farmed the land with their two mules and sold produce from the back of their truck.

In the Valley is the former Bartow County home of Georgia writer Cora Harris, who was one of the most famous women in the state in the early 20th century.  She is best remembered for her first novel, "A Circuit Rider's Wife." Harris, a supporter of agrarian values, lived the last 20 years of her life in a cabin on the property.  The 56-acre site is currently being preserved by Kennesaw State University and includes several cabins, barns, a chapel and a sunken garden.

The I-75 Corridor in NW Georgia----

Help/FAQs provides basic information to assist users in site navigation and downloading of information.----